We are Andy Watson and Dorothy Gerhart and we have been teaching earthbag courses for seven years. Lately we have had workshops on a very limited basis at our center, or if you have a location in the another country with full facilities we could come to you. We feel it is one of the most comprehensive earthbag courses available.
We acted as contractors in building this earthbag home near San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.
Below is our basic course outline - It is slightly modified for each group, depending on their needs and experience.
*Overview of Natural Building
* Tools and Materials
* Site Selection
* Soil Identification and Field Testing
* Introduction to Wall Construction (single bags and tube)
* Introduction to Arches, Vaults and Domes
* Site Preparation and Layout
* House Design
* Foundation Theory and Construction
* Construction theory of Corbeled Earthbag Dome
* Introduction to Weatherproofing and Finishes
* Making and Application of Render
* Creating a Greywater Management System
* Implementation of Percolation Pits
* Construction and Management of a Composting Toilet System
We were asked to train a crew on site who had never built so much as a shed before. We were completely surprised at the quality of bagwork they produced after only a few hours of training.
One of our students and a small crew taught a community how to build greenhouses. As you can see they pulled it off!